CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Catching Up

I realize I haven’t blogged lately. It’s been kind of crazy since the last time I was on here. I guess I’ll start with my weight-loss status. Since May, I really haven’t lost anything more. Seriously – June was a big fat goose egg. July was only .75 inches. I’ve been pretty bummed out about that and have let it get to me. I am extremely blessed that I have not gained anything back. That helps me know that I still have some sort of something left in me! I have still been doing Zumba, and even picked up a Step Aerobics class a couple of times to try to throw my body off routine. I have felt myself drifting lately thought…quite a lot actually.

Well, I had the chance for an intervention. The place where I do Zumba (Inspire 4 Life) was hosting a Fitness Transformation Contest. Here is the description of the contest: Do you have a friend or family member who needs a little push to get up and make some changes for the better? Someone who's willing to be filmed as we take them through each step of their total body transformation. They must be available to workout with our team of trainers a minimum of 4 times per week. This exciting journey includes a complete overhaul of their eating habits, as we invade their refrigerator and cabinets, eliminating all the junk. We will then take them shopping and restock their cabinets and fridge with the right foods! After a month of hardcore workouts and eating the right stuff, your friend will deserve to be pampered. We will give them a complete makeover including hair, nails, make-up (for ladies) and a new outfit to show off that new body!... We want you to tell us why your friend or family member deserves the chance to be our first total body transformation contestant. Details please! We want to know what kind of habits they currently have and why they've struggled to lose weight. Impress us and give us a reason to choose your friend or family member!

I debated on entering because they were asking people to nominate a friend or family member. I asked about nominating yourself and they said “Go ahead!”…so I did. Let me tell you – this was hard. This was the first time that I had really sat down to write out my whole story. I know I’ve shared bits and pieces on here, but this was an honest recount of my life leading up to and over the past 16 months. I shared things in my essay submission that only my closest friends knew until now. I laid it all on the line for them. I really wanted to win. This was just the kick I needed to get back on track and not let myself give up. So here it goes. I am actually going to share with you my essay submission…

My Story

My name is Alisha Scott. I am a morbidly obese adult that just can’t take it anymore. I have been overweight all my life, ever since childhood. I have never known anything different. Growing up, I dreamed of doing certain things – playing volleyball, being a cheerleader, being popular, and to just plain be skinny – but it never happened. My weight has constantly limited me. I would think from time to time that I need to lose the weight and would start to diet. But within weeks, sometimes even days, I was back to my old habits and going about life as I was used to it. I hate to say it, but I was “content” with being fat. That’s how I had always been and I had come to the realization that I was always going to be that way. I couldn’t see life any differently.

My honest statement is: My weight/health is what it is because I ate what I ate and didn’t do what I should have done. Last year I had a wake-up call. I went to the doctor for a regular check-up and my blood pressure was extremely high. I knew in the back of my mind that it could always be a possibility. I have a family history; my mother and grandmother have both had health and heart problems. My grandmother passed from congestive heart failure. My father died of a heart attack at the young age of 34, while my mother was 6 months pregnant with me. When my doctor told me what my reading was, I completely broke down. I was scared! She referred me to a cardiologist. I went for my appointment and he did a complete blood panel and EKG. Everything was fine with my heart and cholesterol; I just had the high blood pressure. At my high weight, I am blessed that there aren’t a million other things wrong with me. But the cardiologist bluntly told me that if things didn’t change, I would die very early. I knew my life had to change – my eating habits, my activity level, my thoughts about food – ALL of it!

Even after my doctor’s appointment and receiving all this news, it took a while for it to really sink in. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know where to start. I was used to eating whenever and wherever I wanted to and could find/buy it. I wasn’t worried about portions. I just ate. I think people were afraid to say anything to me, including my family, because of our situation. But it’s not their fault. I am the one who ate the food. It’s my life and I made myself who I am. So now was my chance to take it all back. This was my chance to make it right. I knew it would be a long, difficult journey, but I had to make it or I would die. I had to find somewhere to start and I finally did.

I started my journey simply by counting calories. I was shocked to really see what I was eating and the impact it was having on my body. I started adapting my eating habits. I didn’t just eat whenever and wherever anymore. I had to figure out my true hunger pangs. I had to find better foods. I started really taking note of nutritional values. I had to change my thoughts about eating from “I live to eat” to “I eat to live.”

My next step was adding exercise. I started by walking, pacing really, in my living room during Biggest Loser. Then I started walking with a friend of mine. In January, she introduced me to Zumba. I’d always seen the infomercials on TV, but never thought I’d be able to do it. The first time, we did a 20 minute routine on the Wii. It was so much fun! I was amazed that I could [at least halfway] keep up. I loved that I burned as many calories in 20 minutes of Zumba as I did on my 2 mile walk that took 45 minutes! I had found my exercise passion. It wasn’t a boring routine. I found something I could do and loved it enough to stick with it.

I have been on this journey now, whole-heartedly, since September 11, 2011. I kind of started before that, but that date is when I consciously made the decision to attack this thing full-force. It has been a roller-coaster. My life is a journey and my journey to weight-loss and health is a daily struggle. I’ve been this way all my life; it’s hard to change habits. It’s hard to change the way you think about food, how you eat, and your level of activity after doing it the same way for 29 years. There have been days that I wasn’t sure if I could make this a true lifestyle change. It’s hard sometimes to keep my mind focused on what I need to be eating versus what I want to be eating. I have been dedicated to this change because if I continue to feed my mind and body what I want, I’ll stay the way I am and that is just not an option.

I have had some great accomplishments over the past 10 months. I don’t know how many pounds I have lost because, honestly, I’m too overweight to be weighed on a regular scale or even at the doctor’s office. I do measure inches and so far I have lost 37.5 inches. I completed my first 5K in January and have another one scheduled for November. But the fact is I can feel myself running out of steam. I don’t keep track of my calories anymore. I notice myself picking back up some of my bad habits. I’m beginning to snack whenever I want to. So many times before, this is where I would just give up. I would let myself keep drifting until I didn’t care/worry about what I was eating anymore. I can’t do that this time. I can’t let myself have that option. I can’t let this be just a fad. This is a battle I’m going to be facing for the rest of my life.

This is where the Inspire 4 Life Transformation Contest comes into play for me. I need something to get me back to where I need to be. I need to get a new outlook on my journey in order to really make it long term. I have been blessed to be part of the Inspire 4 Life family since starting the Zumba class back in January. I know that the instructors and trainers have the knowledge and ability to kick my journey back into gear. This is the perfect extra push I need and to revamp my eating habits again! I would be honored to be chosen for your transformation contest.

The deadline was July 12th and they were supposed to start workouts on July 16th. I expected to know the winner that weekend. Well, that weekend passed. The next week passed. I was getting desperate to know the results. I had already asked on their Facebook page, so I had a friend of mine ask when they would announce the winner. They finally responded and said they would alert the winner by Monday July 23rd. My nerves were building. Then Monday around 2pm, they said they would announce the winner that night. I had Zumba at 5:30pm, would they announce then?!? By now, you can assume right that my stomach was CHURNING – I was ready to know if I won or not! I get to class and all 3 trainers were there. No biggie, it could be anyone in class…well, that anyone was ME!!!! They finally announced right before class started and I actually WON!!! I couldn’t believe it. God was on my side. He knew I needed this and showed favor on me! They got my response on video, which should be posted online soon - either on their website or Facebook page. I start the whole process today and it will last the whole month of August. They should be posting my journey on their website, so keep a lookout there. I am actually going to try to get back into blogging during this transformation so you can find updates here too. I am so excited!!! Like I said, this is exactly the kick in the rear that I need to get back on track and where I need to be. I know it is going to be tough. Laurie, Carlos, and Bobby are NOT going to take it easy on me. They already told me they are going to “break” my [yikes!] – but I’m ready. My one year anniversary of being on this weight loss journey is coming up 11 days after this transformation is over. I can’t wait to see where this pushes my at that one year mark.

Me and the trainers - (L to R) Laurie, Carlos, and Bobby


Let's do this!!

0 comments:

I AM A CHRISTIAN. I love the Lord with all my heart, soul, & mind. God has really blessed me more than I could ever imagine, but the truth is that Satan HATES me!! I face struggles & temptation every single day of my life; but no matter what happens, I still strive to do the will of God. Because I put my faith & trust in God, He has provided relief for me & my family time & time again! God never fails to comfort & remind me of His promise that “I will never leave you nor forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5). There have been countless times that I did not deserve God’s grace & should not have been granted mercy. But He has granted me mercy & forgiveness, as well as goodness & grace -- all for the purpose of sharing it with those I meet along the path of life. Some days are better than others, but you always have to remember to keep pressing on! Keep praising HIM & He’ll never fail to bring you through the storm.